This is a member created list for poetry competitions and calls for submission in North Carolina.
- The NC Museum of Natural Sciences will hold its second Poetry Scope reading on August 8, 2013 at 7PM as part of their weekly Science Cafe series. Up to five poets will be selected to read and discuss their science-related poems. If you are interested in participating in this event, please email Pamela Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org) up to three poems with a brief description of the science behind the poem by Monday June, 24, 2013.
- Ashe County’s On the Same Page Literary Festival is announcing the opening of its third writer’s competition. First and second place awards will be given in fiction, non-fiction and poetry. Prize money totaling $900 will be presented: $200 for first place and $100 for second place in each category. Winners will be invited to read their winning entries at the Page Crafter’s Prize presentations on Saturday, September 21 at 2:30 p.m. $10 entry fee, due date for submissions (electronic) is 5pm, July 5. Find out more at http://www.onthesamepagefestival.org/
- Hard Times Writing Contest – Deadline: Postmarked by June 30, 2013
1ST PLACE: Your choice of a 3 night stay at The Mountain Muse B&B in Asheville; or 3 free online workshops; or 100 pages line-edited and revised by our editorial staff
2nd PLACE: 2 night stay at the B&B; or 2 free workshops; or 50 pages line-edited
3rd PLACE: One free workshop, or 25 pages line-edited
10 Honorable Mentions
Write about a difficult experience in your life, how you overcame this obstacle, and how you were changed by it. Winning stories will be chosen for originality and creative writing style. Stories should be previously unpublished, and should not exceed 4,000 words (double-spaced, 12 point font). Multiple entries are accepted.
Your name, address, email, phone and title of work should also appear on a cover sheet. Enclose a self-addressed, self-sealing stamped envelope for critique and list of winners, and the reading fee of $25 (or $20 for Workshop members) per entry. Please make check or money order payable to Writers’ Workshop, and send to: Hard Times Contest, 387 Beaucatcher Road, Asheville, N.C. 28805.
Emailed submissions may be sent to email@example.com, with “Hard Times Contest” in the subject. Entry fee is payable online at www.twwoa.org.
- WTF: What the Fiction is a new North Carolina journal of fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry, and is seeking submissions from NCPS members. Find out more at http://www.whatthefiction.com/
- The Raleigh Review is helping to put poetry up on city buses in Raleigh. See more about the program at http://www.raleighreview.org/NC_Poetry_on_the_Bus.html and how to submit poems for the program.
- Lots of haiku competitions are out there; a list of contests and deadlines can be found at http://thehaikufoundation.org/calendar/calendar_contests.htm. Hone your haiku writing in preparation for next year’s NCPS Griffin-Farlow Haiku Competition!
If you know of any contests that you feel should be added, please use the contact form above (by following the “contact” link in the menu) or simply email the webmaster (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thanks for making the NCPS website even more full of resources for poets in North Carolina!